Monday, November 28, 2016

Butch the Opossum Goes For Apple Pie

11/23  
10:23PM  I'd put a piece of homemade apple pie on the window sill and then went about my business.  Butch hadn't been arriving until the wee hours of the morning.  But evidentally Butch smelled pie and he arrived early.  
Butch keeps eating but he has changed to a binoc eye focus just in case I try something shady.
I evidentally have passed the possible shady test and Butch goes back to a focus on eating.
Other options for food are a tangerine, shredded carrots and apple peels.  Pie wins.
Note Butch's inciser.
Butch mines the crack between the window and the sill.  I decide as he may be becoming more shy about appearing at the feeding station that I will exit and give him some privacy.

In the meantime, here is a crop of Butch the opposum's toes.  They appear almost as if they have scales.  

The claws are curved and as opossums don't do much in the way of heavy digging as in burrow excavation, I am positing that they evolved at least in part for tree climbing and traction.

I wonder what tomorrow may bring.

Donegal Browne

No comments: