Saturday, April 06, 2013

The Eagle, That Leads to the Eagles Nest, and the Red-tailed Hawk Part 1

This is my last photo of the day, just as the sun was going down. And this is the Red-tailed Hawk I'd been looking for, though not his nest as yet. 

But while I was looking for him, I found an Eagle's nest.

I'd met some people on a walking trail who said they'd heard there was a Red-tailed Hawk nest toward the west and also that the Eagle's nest of last year had blown down and an Eagle pair also likely had a nest somewhere "over there".

Thankfully the railroad tracks were going in a handy direction...giving me some "public access" through the countryside amidst all the privately owned land.

I'd walked along for about a half hour being screamed at by Red-winged Blackbirds, they're very tense this time of year, when I saw a large speck in the top of a tree.
  

 Then the large speck took to his wings toward the east...left.

A Bald Eagle, Haliaeetus leucocephalus, going somewhere with purpose.

He then curved back in the other direction again and flew the length of a field back to his perch.


Flying past the nest.  See it near the top of the tree center?
 It's well over a mile away, so I try digiscoping.

It is too far away even for digiscoping. 

There is an Eagle's head there but its tough to see. I look around for the nearest farm house.  Perhaps they own the site and I can get permission to get closer.  Gulp.  I gather my stuff and start trekking for it. 

Raptor watching is ever so much easier in Central Park.  Though...Central Park doesn't have an Eagle's Nest.

More to Come!

Donegal Browne

No comments: