Thursday, May 17, 2012

Wednesday Miscellany-Pale Male, Mama Of Queens, the Washington Square Eyasses, Robin Chicks, and Tiny Bunny


Pale Male arrives with a delivery and stares at his nest full of eyasses while Zena looks on.
Screen capture courtesy of palemale.com

Mama of Queens stands her nightly vigil with her eyasses, courtesy of New York City Audubon and http://www.jknaturegallery.com/rth_nestcam.html

Rosie takes a break, leaving the eyasses on their own. Note the parental tail feather, left.  Unusual for one to drop at this time of year.  And once again a clear view through the newly cleaned window.  http://www.livestream.com/nytnestcam
Remember the Robin nest in the four foot bush?  In a year of incessant nest robbing, this Robin pair hatched three and have kept three chicks.

I was moving some wood in the wood pile when suddenly the tiniest of baby bunnies hippity made an appearance and hopped as fast as her tiny haunches would take her into the long grass at the end of the garden.
 And there she stayed, frozen, at least while I was looking.  A half hour later or so, I was at the other end of the garden.  I looked up and there was a mature rabbit about 15 feet away, staring at me.  She then slowly went into the grass where tiny bunny had hidden.  I then went back to watering the straw, which I hope will turn into a Wine Cap Mushroom patch.


Neither reappeared while I was out and I wonder if Mom Bunny nursed tiny bunny in the tall grass.


Donegal Browne


No comments: