Thursday, April 15, 2010

Red-tail Updates- Rose and Vince in the Bronx, Mama and Papa in Briarwood, Queens

FROM KAREN ANNE KOLLING OF THE GONZO DECK--

How many nuts can I fit into my mouth at once --

I think I'll eat this one right now –

FROM RICHARD FLEISHER, A MAJOR WATCHER OF THE FORDHAM PAIR, ROSE AND VINCE--
Hi,

Earlier this year the Fordham Hawks, Rose and her new mate which I've taken
to calling Vince, were busy rebuilding the old nest on Collins Hall. The
new nest is much larger and deeper than the old one. Through February I would see both of them around the nest carrying twigs from neighboring
trees and placing them on the nest and I was very confident that we would again see nesting activity. I was very much looking forward to watching another year of hatchlings turn into fledglings. At this point, however, I am quite disappointed to report that I no longer see any activity around the nest. I see absolutely no signs that Rose has begun sitting on eggs and my recollection of prior cycles is that by this time she should have laid several eggs. I still see the Hawks on campus sitting on some of their favorite roosting sites but no sign of nest activity. Should the situation change I will write and let you know but for now we have to assume that for this year the Fordham nest will not be an active site.

Richard Fleisher
Professor and Associate Chair for Graduate Studies
Political Science Department



Hi Rich,

Thanks for the update. I was hoping they'd nest at Fordham this year too. It seems safer somehow. I haven't heard a word about anyone seeing them at the NYBG nest spot lately either. Perhaps Vince is a touch young and still a bit sexually immature? Pale Male did eventually copulate as a brown-tail, but I've been told that at first he attempted to copulate with his mate's head.

Which brings one of my questions to mind about youthful males, I wonder how a male Red-tail "knows" to bring a female on the nest food? One would think it was innate but Norman up at the Cathedral nest still doesn't seem to have gotten it. It appears that Isolde still has to get off and hunt for herself at least part of the time. Norman does sit dutifully on the eggs while she is gone at least.

Thanks again,
Donna

JEFF KOLLBRUNNER HAD A SURPRISE WHEN HE VISITED MAMA AND PAPA OF BRIARWOOD, QUEENS--

Hello all,

I visited the nest of Mama and Papa today and have an update to report. When I arrived Mama was sitting on the rim of the nest so I had a clear view of the entire nest bowl and low and behold there are three hatchlings in the nest. The third hatchling must have been well under Mama and hidden from view this past Monday when I counted two in the nest.

All the best,
Jeff

Alright! Jeff, how often do Mama and Papa do three?

Mama and Papa have been being observed by the Kollbrunners for 16 years.

Donegal Browne

No comments: