Sunday, September 27, 2009

Turkey Poults, House Sparrows, Pigeons,and Feathered Dinosaurs-OH MY!



Back in August, I was driving down the road and spied a Turkey hen coming out of the bushes. I immediately stopped. I hadn't been going very fast anyway as
this road has houses on both sides but are backed by woods so lots of wildlife traipses through the yards and across the road to get to whichever woods they haven't foraged in yet today.



And as Mrs Turkey stepped onto the asphalt, look who scurried out of the bushes next.


Eventually three more turkey poults popped out as well to follow mom across the street.



Tail End Charlie here, possibly the curious type, stopped for a moment to stare at me. I wasn't sure that was a partularly wise choice and wondered if he might become a highway fatality.
I think his curiousity didn't get the best of him after all as most every day I see a turkey hen and her four juveniles parading out of the woods or foraging in the grain fields of Thresherman park.
(This is only the first third of the original post, originally it included photos from Peggy of NYC and a nifty article about feathered dinosaurs from Robin of Illinois but Blogger ate that part during spellcheck. ??? I'll try to load it again but for now, here's the first third. D.B.)

No comments: