Wednesday, June 10, 2009

One Visible M and One invisible One


7:34:39pm
I can't see the belly band nor are the two eyasses next to each other for comparison so I am tentatively saying that this is Secundus.
In fact I don't see Primus at all during this trip but there is rustling in various parts of the oak tree, therefore I surmise that Primus is branching in parts of the tree that keep her masked from me. Also Secundus keeps looking at differing areas in the tree at something I can't see.




7:39:54 pm
Suddenly I remember I sat a $50 Nikon battery down on the counter in the ladies room at Thresherman's Park and neglected to pick it up again. SHOOT!
I jump in the car and race back...MUCH MORE TO COME...

2 comments:

Sally said...

Gee, does that juvie in the tree have a particularly wide, pronounced white terminal tail band or am I just noticing this characteristic in juveniles for the first time? Wish I had other juve tail snaps to compare easily, no time for that tonight!

The two portland eyasses were re-nested as was the third Franklin eyass that had been taken to rehab following a difficult fledge.

Donegal Browne said...

I think that's about normal in the way of the white band, BUT these rural hawks have far less damage to their feathers from buildings and are far cleaner. We are not talking lack of hygiene on the part of urban hawks. Rural hawks aren't confined to small nests on grime covered buildings where even the rain mixes with particulate matter on the way down through the vehicle emissions. The environment of rural hawks is just cleaner and the hawks look it. Not that I've thought urban hawks looked dirty,mind you, it's just these guys look more pristine somehow. Have you noticed all the lichen on the bark of that Oak tree? Lichen is a marker of clean air, as is the brilliant blue of the sky when the weather is clear. Therefore I think that the white tail bar on these eyasses is what the tail bar actually looks like.