Tuesday, August 12, 2008

The Traffic Circle Mammals, Sunbird, and the Endangered Species Act


Pennsylvania, a very large fenced grassy traffic circle with at least a dozen mammals browsing in it. I took them to be Groundhogs as a number were sitting up looking around in chubby, small eared, Groundhog fashion.


This guy rather looks like a Groundhog to me.

But upon closer inspection at least one of them looks to have a very fluffy tail which looks raccoonish. Possibly one raccoon and the rest were Groundhogs? But what was a raccoon doing in the field during daylight hours?

Check out the Southern Double-collared Sunbird, in full breeding regalia on South African filmaker Adam Welz's blog--http://adamwelz.wordpress.com/

(Sunbirds fill a parallel niche to hummingbirds in the New World.)

FROM R. IN ILLINOIS--
ARE THEY REALLY GOING TO GUT THE ENDANGERED SPECIES ACT?

3 comments:

Karen Anne said...

I see the occasional raccoon on my deck in the daylight, but within an hour or so of dawn.

They clean out the remains of the bird seed in the feeders on my deck overnight. When I used to just leave them whatever was there, if there wasn't much, they'd often also show up after I'd refilled the feeders around 5-6 am when it gets light.

Now I make sure there's a reasonable amount for overnight and I'm much less likely to see them in the am.

Early morning is when the groundhog shows up as well.

What time did you see those guys?

Karen Anne said...

By the way, I've never seen more than one groundhog at a time, but the raccoons that show up seem to be usually in groups. Are groundhogs solitary?

Donegal Browne said...

5:48PM