Monday, September 10, 2007

Flora and Fauna Loose Ends and Tidbits


Photograph Mark Brown
If you'll remember, a while ago, computer whiz Mark Brown, who often helps me with the maze of technology sent in a grand photo of a Stellar's Jay. He also sent the above photo from his vacation in the western U.S. and Alaska. Does anyone know what it is? It looks very familiar but so far I've not found it in my field guides.



And here's the plant, that distracted me during an earlier blog by it's mix of yellow and purple centers on the same plant. It's one of the Asters which are numerous and to add "interest" have been known to intergrade. But in this case, the mixed color centers are a product of time since initial blossoming. It's Flat Topped White Aster, Aster umbellatus, the yellow disk of which turns from yellow to purplish as time passes since blossoming . The give-a-way in this case being the mixed color disk which can be seen in the blossom at the apex of the photograph.


And from Andy Blatz of Michigan, a tip about Jewelweed. Not only is it a tasty treat for hummingbirds, but it 's helpful in reducing the symptoms of Poison Ivy. He says that upon finding oneself with Poison Ivy while in the field that crushing Jewelweed and applying it to the affecting areas is very helpful in calming the itch.
I admit I haven't as yet tried this personally as I haven't a current case of Poison Ivy. I considered giving myself a patch for research purposes but it was vetoed strongly by my family.
Therefore if you give it a try,
do let us know how it works for you.

Tis the season for Goldenrods and the crop in many areas is lush and beautiful. Therefore while out stalking the Warblers in migration do give your "warbler-neck" a rest now and again by looking down and enjoying it.
Donegal Browne



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The perched bird may be a a Black Billed Magpie.