Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Double Fledge Day! Divine Tailbiter Takes Off! (Three is relieved.) And one post down is the first Fordham Fledge.

What it looked like yesterday.

What it looks like today.

Why is Three relieved? Now she can vie with Two (Cohort) for the oldest eyass, Tailbiter's viewing spots. Before she didn't have a chance at the plum perches and always got stuck on the left.

First I received this email from Pale Male Irregular Winkie which gave me a hint that things might have changed at The Cathedral Nest of Tristin and Isolde--

Hi Donna,

Couldn't tell you for certain, but I could only spot two eyasses in the nest. Light rain and poor visibility made it impossible for me to see back into the nest.

Wish I could tell you more, but can only report what I observed.When I arrived around 6:15pm there was a lot of circling by Isolde, especially on the school side of the apse. I would have to say that she was particularly active.

Tristan was at first on the trumpet and then off. The Third is still there, but as the left bookend. And it looks to me as if Cohort has taken over St. Andrew's finger and the right side of the nest. But in the bad light, I couldn't say for certain which eyas was on the right.

I was there for over 40 minutes. Isolde visited the nest as the rain came down harder. The eyas on the right was slipping around; first, on the finger and then, on the edge of the nest. And Third headed for as much cover as could be found.

Never from any place could I see a fledgling, nor did I hear what is the normal chatter of the other creatures when they know a newbie is around. When I left John had arrived. But as far as we know, no one else has been their earlier.Sorry, I cannot be definitive. I'll be there again tomorrow evening.

Then came the kicker from Rob Schmunk of http://bloomingdalevillage.blogspot.com/ --
Fledge at St. Johns, supposedly at about 11:10 Monday.
At 6:45 p.m. when I swung by, only two nestlings were visible. Mama Isolde remained perched on Gabriel's horn through the rain that fell over the next half hour plus, so plainly she was keeping close watch.
Three of us that were there initially suspected a fledge, but could not see anything nor hear anything, despite checking chapel roofs and ogling treetop foliage.
Captain's person came by around 7:30 (Captain is a sweet bandana wearing dog. D.B.) and told us that when she'd been walking Captain earlier in the day, she had seen the fledgling on one of the chapel roofs. It wasn't clear whether she meant Ansgar or Boniface, or perhaps both. An elderly gentleman hawkwatcher had apparently been there to see the "flight" (given the slow development of the Cathedral nestlings, one wonders if it was more if a "barely controlled fall") and I suppose he must have told her when it occurred.
At 8:40 tonight, Isolde was still on Gabriel's horn, the two kids in the nest were still awake, and I had never found the fledgling. I wondered if it might be back on the roof of Columba chapel, as that's the most obstructed from view.
I saw Tristan only for a moment once, when he flew across 113th St. halfway to Amsterdam at 8:20.
Next post down find the days events and the fledge hunt for the first to go of the Fordham Eyasses. Didn't I say it was a DOUBLE!
Donegal Browne
P.S. Part I of the Divine Red-tails vs The Kestrels etc. as soon as I catch up on the eyasses flying out of their nests.

No comments: