Wednesday, May 11, 2016

The Unlooked for Tug of a Turkey Vulture Lesson

Picking up where we left off yesterday....I'd been downright disappointed by the non-action at the eagle's nest and I still had to backtrack miles and miles of railroad track to get back to where I started.   Therefore, sooner done, sooner finished.

Okay, I admit it.  I was more than a little disgruntled and not at all looking forward to the miles of backtracking.

I started walking back, over the rolly railway rocks and the creosoted ties.  Sigh.  Now I was just plain feeling sorry for myself.

I looked up.
 
 Is that an eagle chasing a little bird?  That would be unusual.
Then her wings went into a dihedral.  No, not an eagle, only a Turkey Vulture.   She caught the wind and rose.
 And she was beautiful.

 A trick of the light lit a cross behind her and she sailed away.
And it was time for me to make a little headway as well, though lighter than I had been.

I made the trek.  Went home.  Had a bowl of soup. Took my boots off.  Laid down gratefully...and the phone rang. 

 It was my friend Mi.  She said with great enthusiasm, "Want to go check out the eagles?  I haven't been out to the nest for awhile."

I paused.  "Sure, why not?  Just let me get my boots back on."

As John Muir said, "When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world."

And isn't that the truth.

Dongegal Browne
 

No comments: