Tuesday, October 27, 2009

RED-TAILED HAWK UPDATE: Tulsa Hawks-Kay and Jay, Plus Hawk Hill and Citizen Science


Photograph by Cheryl Cavert
An update on the Tulsa KJRH TV Hawks, Kay (left)and Jay (right) from Tulsa Hawkwatcher Cheryl Cavert --

Hi Donegal,
I recently read where you were asking about an update on the Tulsa hawks. I have been meaning to send some photos on to you all summer - but with your summer activities and blogger problems, and my summer activities and computer problems, time has gotten away from me.


I regularly see Kay and/or Jay perched on the KJRH nesting tower. Late in the summer evenings, they were often perched together on the goldenrod (sticks out to the east, just slightly below nest level). I've attached a couple of photos from an evening in August.


Photograph by Cheryl Cavert
- the lighting is not very helpful picking up fine details - but the second photo shows how well balanced Jay is as he stretches - never even wobbled!


Photograph by Cheryl Cavert
Kay was perched on the goldenrod on October 16th on a beautiful sunny afternoon - not something we have had much of lately in Tulsa. Later that evening, I spotted her on a lower perch on the tower, Jay flew by and she flew off after him. I saw Kay again this evening, sitting on a pole next to the KJRH hawk cam, helping the hawk cam watch the evening traffic.
I will send on additional updates of Kay and Jay's neighbors. I have had some delightful hawk encounters this summer - especially with some of the juveniles!


All my best -
Cheryl (aka catgirl of the Tulsa KJRH hawk forum)

It's grand to hear how Kay and Jay are doing. Thank you, Cheryl.

AND FROM ROBIN OF ILLINOIS FOR ALL YOU HAWKWATCHING CITIZEN SCIENTISTS OUT THERE--
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2009/10/25/793980/-Dawn-Chorus-Birdblog:-Citizen-Science-Rules!-

"GGRO and Citizen Science: Beautiful diary. I can imagine how much patience it took to get these amazing photos. By coincidence, I recently visited my daughter in San Francisco, and got to accompany her and her boyfriend Walter Kitundu hiking in the Marin Headlands and visiting Hawk Hill, where Walter volunteers as a bander.

The day we visited, the weather was perfect, and the view was spectacular, but the day before, Walter had spent a miserable day huddled in the blind in the fog without any birds. ( Walter's blog isBird Light Wind on Linaetus blogroll, and has Walter's bird photographs. )


GGRO is doing important work, tracking and documenting these beautiful birds, and educating the public about raptors. Here in Texas, since I retired as a public school science teacher, until I discovered citizen science, I missed the field studies I used to do with my students. Citizen science has provided a way to stay connected and make a contribution to science.

Project Feeder Watch last winter had us watching goldfinches. I also monitor rainfall with our backyard rain gauge for the Community Cooperative Rain and Hail Study, and get to see my data posted on the daily on-line map, and linked on the NOAA website.

I just discovered the National Phenology Network, which monitors seasonal changes in indicator plant species- one way to study the effects of climate change. I highly recommend these and other citizen science projects, especially for teachers who are looking for ways to get students involved in the exciting process of doing real science."


Donegal Browne

No comments: