Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Isolde Watches from the Nest, but just What is She Watching?


Isolde, on the nest, surrounded by scaffolding. 3/05/08

Previously I talked about how the scaffolding might come in downright handy for the eyasses to branch on when the time came but I didn't know how it might affect the adult's stealth access to the nest. So I sent off by question to Red-tail expert John Blakeman and here's what John had to say----


Donna,

The birds will have no problems at all flying through and between the metal bars. They are widely spaced, more so than many small branches that surround many nests.

No concerns whatsoever.

--John Blakeman

(That's certainly good news. -Donna)

8:25am My daughter Samantha was hot-footing it to an 8:30 appointment near St. John's when a Red-tail cruised over her head and then took off south into the trees, towards the Cathedral. She grabbed her camera and shot blind but the hawk is in there somewhere.

11:08am Then when she came out there was a hawk circling higher and higher above Morningside Park.


And as I'd asked her to take a few photographs of the nest, she did. But she didn't realize until she sent the photos to me and I looked at them...

...that Isolde was on the nest. What is she doing?

She's watching, one assumes, New Guy fly higher and higher. Okay, then what is he doing?

Isolde continues to watch fixedly.

And then after enlarging and searching diligently in the clouds, I discovered the answer. There are two Red-tailed hawks up there. Which ones? And for what?
Donegal Browne






No comments: